Sleeping With Back Pain
When you suffer from back pain, restful sleep can feel more like an aspiration than a reality. Pain can either keep you from falling asleep or it can cause you to wake up in the middle of the night. Regardless of the time of night, there are a few methods you can follow to help you get a peaceful, full night’s rest.
Your preferred sleep position may be causing you more pain than you realize. Find the position that makes you feel most comfortable, taking into consideration these simple modifications to relieve pressure on your spine.
- Back sleepers: Use a pillow under your knees or try a Bed Wedge System to help maintain the natural curve of your lower back. A small, rolled up towel placed under the small of your back will also provide additional support. Sleeping on your back is considered the healthiest option for most.
- Side Sleepers: Place a pillow between your knees, such as the ContourSleep Knee Spacer, to add additional spinal support. Bring your knees up slightly towards your chest to help elongate the spine.
- Stomach Sleepers: If you must choose this position, reduce strain on your back by placing a pillow under your lower abdomen and pelvis. This position makes it difficult to keep your spine in a neutral posture, which can lead to pain throughout the night.
Maintain A Schedule
Create a sleep routine that works for your schedule and stick with it every day – even on the weekends! By following a nightly routine, your body is able to follow a natural sleep-wake cycle. This makes it easier for you to fall asleep. Pick a bedtime that allows for 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and make sure you finish any strenuous exercise at least 2 hours before bed. Caffeine and exercise can make you feel too energized to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
Sleep Better with These Products
- Adjustable Bases and Foundations: Reduce pressure on your spine, improve circulation, and relieve muscle tension with a personalized sleep system. Find ergonomic comfort and support where you need it most.
- Snoozer Body Pillow: Deep, relaxing, ergonomic support no matter the sleep position. Perfect for those who suffer from chronic pain, are pregnant, or have injuries.
- PureRelax Mattress Topper: Made with eco-friendly materials, this topper decreases body-to-bed motion transfer while relieving muscle and back pain. This mattress topper reduces allergens and does not produce any carbon emissions during its creation.
- Tempur-Pedic Mattress: TEMPUR material adjusts to your body weight and temperature, reducing pressure on your back, shoulders, and hips to improve sleep quality. From soft-as-a-cloud, to ultra-firm, to cooling material for those who sleep hot, there is a mattress that fits your sleep needs.
Visit your local Relax The Back store to test out these products and speak with our trained specialists. They will help determine the best product solutions to help relieve pain and provide quality comfort for a better night’s sleep.