Pillow Buying Guide
A pillow is more than just a place to rest your head. It is vital to your best night’s sleep. Using a pillow that fully supports your head, neck, and shoulders allows you to rest comfortably throughout the night.
When did you replace your pillows last? The National Sleep Foundation recommends replacing your pillows every two years. Though, the best way to know if it is time to replace your pillows is to evaluate your sleep quality and comfort levels when you wake up. If you are feeling stiff and your body is no longer being supported or you are unable to stay in a neutral position, your sleep setting needs an upgrade.
If it is time for you to replace your pillows, use this as a guide to help you find the right one for you.
- Consider your preferred sleep position: It’s important to maintain our neck’s natural curve. Different pillows provide different support based on your sleeping style. Back sleepers should look for a medium support pillow such as the TEMPUR-Neck Pillow. If you prefer to sleep on your side, a pillow that is high with firm support will help you maintain proper spinal alignment throughout the night. Try our ContourSide Pillow by Relax The Back.
- Determine a budget: Once you have established a budget you are comfortable with, speak with our sales associates to see the selection of pillows we offer that fit into your budget and match your sleeping style.
- Utilize our sleep experts: We understand no two bodies are the same. Our trained associates can help you find a pillow that supports your head, neck, and spine for lasting comfort. Determine the best size and firmness that is perfect for you by testing out pillows in one of our stores.
- Personalized support and comfort: Pillows are not one size fits all. From preferred sleep positions, to the type of mattress you sleep on, to your body type, there are many factors that determine the best pillow for your specific needs. The key to a better night’s sleep is finding a pillow that correctly aligns the head and spine for maximum comfort and pressure relief.
- Test it out and give it time: When you visit one of our stores, you have the ability to try numerous pillows. Lay on a pillow for at least 10 minutes and gauge your comfort levels. Does your neck feel supported? Do you feel your neck bending forward or to one side? It is important to get fitted for a pillow that allows your head, neck, and shoulders to be aligned. Once you are home, it may take a few days to adjust to sleeping on a new surface. Give your body time.
Finding the perfect pillow for your body type and sleep type is essential for your overall health and well-being. It’s amazing what a quality pillow and better night’s rest can do for your mind and body. Wake up feeling revitalized, refreshed, and ready to start your day.
Visit your local Relax The Back location to find your perfect fit today.